The South Australian Government is committed to ensuring its procurement decisions support state and national efforts to increase workforce participation, skill development and social inclusion through employment of Aboriginal people, trainees and apprentices, local people with barriers to employment and up-skilling on building and civil construction works throughout the state.The Workforce Participation in Government Construction Procurement policy requires government agencies and contractors to work together to ensure that 15% of labour hours on specified contracts for building and civil works is undertaken by apprentices, trainees, Aboriginal people, local people with barriers to employment and for up-skilling (“the target groups”).
The policy requires government agencies to:
- inform tenderers and contractors for building and civil works over the relevant thresholds of the requirement to allocate 15% of labour hours to the employment and/or up-skilling of target groups;
- place information about the policy in all tender documentation and a binding set of WPGCP clauses in the contract documentation, for contracts covered by the policy;
- monitor contractor performance against the 15% target; and assist contractors if non-compliance becomes evident.
The policy requires contractors to:
- agree to meet the 15% target within the relevant tiers;
- provide a Workforce Participation and Skills Development Plan (Tier 1) or Strategy (Tier 2);
- provide information on the number of hours worked on-site by all workers at quarterly intervals throughout the contract and on completion of the contract; and nominate a person responsible for the coordination of employment and training required under this policy in the case of Tier 2 contracts by using the CITB online wizard.
From 1 January 2011 businesses who are tendering or applying for South Australian Government works and services contracts are no longer required to have current InSkill registration as part of their tender application.
To contact us:
For civil construction please call: 8343 2547. For building construction please call: 8226 5200.
For more information see www.dtei.sa.gov.au/wpcgp and www.dfeest.sa.gov.au/15percent .