The Government of South Australia’s motor vehicle fleet is owned by the South Australian Government Financing Authority (SAFA) and has approximately 7,500 vehicles made up of a combination of passenger, SUV and light commercial vehicles, including 4WD and trucks.
The current fleet is segmented into the following categories:
- passenger (54%);
- sports utility vehicle (SUV) (20%); and
- light commercial (26%).
Current relevant statistics of the fleet are:
- 1.8% of the fleet is hybrid (petrol - electric powered) vehicles;
- average distance travelled per year is 17,709 kilometres per vehicle;
- 100% of the passenger fleet is 5 Star ANCAP rated;
- the fleet travels approximately 113.7 million kilometres per year; and
- consumes approximately 11 million litres of fuel.
SAFA vehicles operate in all areas of South Australia, including metropolitan, regional and remote areas. SAFA vehicles may operate in neighbouring States and/or Territories, including the Northern Territory. In addition, motor vehicles may be some distance from an appropriate motor vehicle maintenance facility.
SAFA is a significant consumer of new motor vehicles with approximately:
- $95 million spent annually; and
- 2,700 new motor vehicles are purchased annually.
The purpose of the Expression of Interest is for Respondents to provide information regarding the cost effective ongoing supply, maintenance and fuelling strategies of motor vehicles with low or zero emissions that meet operational requirements to the Government of South Australia.
Interested parties are invited to submit innovative proposals to SAFA that contribute to the following key objectives:
- reducing the total greenhouse emissions of producing and running a motor vehicle fleet;
- reducing fossil fuel consumption resulting in cleaner air;
- advancing South Australia’s economic priorities to create a strong and sustainable economy that builds on our strengths, including creating new infrastructure and employment opportunities in South Australia;
- delivering improved value for money;
- improving vehicle safety; and
- meeting operational requirements.
SAFA is seeking Respondents that are able to provide opportunities for current and future technologies to support existing and future vehicle infrastructure.
Where there may be significant and measurable benefits to change the current purchasing arrangements, SAFA may be willing to review its ownership model (with appropriate consideration to current contracts) in relation to leasing and financing models (including options for guaranteed buy back).